Let's crack on into it and pick up the crumbs from another weekend of sporting stuff...
1) I think it's lovely that the New Zealand Warriors will stay at Mt Smart. Well that's looking a whole lot more likely now with the Warriors nearing a deal with the Auckland Council that will see them stay at Mt Smart beyond 2018. This is obviously good news as Mt Smart is the home of the Warriors and I would much rather see them stay at Mt Smart than go elsewhere, especially when the only other stadium in Auckland other than Eden Park is that QBE Stadium .../a mess in Albany.
Crucial to the Warriors staying at Mt Smart is an upgrade to Mt Smart, bringing it into modern times you could say. When you see what a lot of other NRL clubs have at their disposal in terms of facilities, not only dumping a lump of cash into a Mt Smart upgrade needed to keep the Warriors there, it's also needed to ensure that the Warriors remain competitive in the NRL. Plus there's plenty of scope to develop the 'fan experience' with new technology and so on, which should bring more fans in.
2) I think Saturday night's Wellington Phoenix game was an embarrassment. Gotcha, it was only an embarrassment for whoever is responsible for the turf at QBE Stadium because besides that, the Nix's game vs the Melbourne Victory was a fun watch. The Nix were back to their dazzling best, with help from a typically rugged defence and to see the Nix treat fans with sizzling skill was perfect.
Keep an eye out for Ernie! (our Wellington Phoenix blog) later today.
3) I think Steven Adams is bringing the rugby sidestep to the NBA...
Steven Adams is the man for really, really, real though...
4) I think sport is great right now! In a lot of the leagues around the world that we follow, we're seeing highly competitive action with new teams emerging to challenge the status-quo. Look at the NBA where the Golden State Warriors are doing their thing and have been doing so for over a year and then cast your gaze to England where the Premier League is serving up funky results each week. It was only a few years ago when a few teams would be dominating their respective leagues, which wouldn't leave much room for excitement for a fresh perspective. Now we're seeing things open up - just look at the NRL where the North Queensland Cowboys won their first title ever - as the competitions now have a sprinkling of spice on them.
5) I think we need to stop hanging on every word that athletes say. Tyson Fury has found himself in a spot of bother thanks to comments that can only be described as coming from a gypsy, yet people are outraged. First of all, everyone is entitled to their opinion and opinions aren't right or wrong, they are just opinions. And then you have the fact that Fury is a damn gypsy so what more do you expect?
People come from different backgrounds in sport, they've been raised differently which influences how they think and what they say. Sure the views of Fury might not fit the way most of the world is trying (important - many of us aren't much better than Fury with our words) think or view issues like gender equality, but everyone is entitled to their own way of thinking. So whatever ... I still can't believe people are taking a gypsy's words seriously anyway.
6) I think Joseph Parker is cool and really, really good at boxing. We know he's gonna get a title fight at some stage, WE KNOW THIS, so chill. Don't stress, don't fork out $40 to watch and don't kick up a fuss when he's fighting nobodies. Just wait until he fights someone who isn't there to merely pick up his cash or wait for Parker to fight outside of Aotearoa/South Pacific.
7) I think Ricardo Christie is holding things down nicely for kiwi surfing. Christie couldn't make it past the quarter-finals of the Vans World Cup which was a bummer but Christie is still trucking along nicely in his first year on the pro tour. Especially when you consider the talent that is ahead of Christie with Mick Fanning winning the VWC; Christie might not be catching the headlines and rightfully so but he's showing that he is worthy of his position.
8) I think I like Te Maire Martin more and more each time I hear about him...
9) I think it's amazing how good Australia is at hockey. Not many Aussies pay much attention to hockey yet the Kookaburras have won the men's World Hockey League (which our Black Sticks girls are competing in now) which will fit in nicely with their World Cup trophy.
10) I think Ronaldo is all shit.